Thursday 2 April 2009

Gone.

Now I understand how people can blog at times like this. The mechanics of typing, the whirring of one’s brain focused on something so trivial are a blessed distraction.

Earlier today I learned a friend of mine has died. I would say a good friend of mine, but obviously I was not a good enough friend, or I would have called her more recently than…when? I can’t even remember. It must be about a year ago. Yes, I’ve been busy and time certainly does fly by with a life like mine, but a year?

She killed herself.

I don’t know what to say or do that isn’t wallowing in self-pity for my own culpability in her death. I’ll settle for goodbye.

Peace, Mel.
xxx L

6 comments:

Jules said...

Oh sweetheart.

I know this feeling.

Unfortunately our lives are so busy that we spend so much time just achieving the day to day things that time passes so quickly. I have a couple of friends who live in the same area as I do that I haven't seen for over a year, this is a timely reminder that it's worth making the time today as you never know what tomorrow has in store.

Little Snoring said...

wow, what a shock. don't know what to say.

hazelblackberry said...

That is terrible. I'm sorry.

It would be nice to think we'd all change our behaviour based on events like that but life just goes on: which is the both the relief and the tragedy of it.

Lonie Polony said...

Thank you ladies for your words. I don't think the reality has really sunk in yet, but I'm just filled with a terrible sadness that she went to her death believing life was bleak, with no prospects for happiness. I keep saying I'm sorry, and hope that somehow she hears me.

Anonymous said...

Stay strong. Life is not bleak... we know that.

Lonie Polony said...

Thanks Mutley :)