Friday 25 July 2008

Thirty is the New Twenty

…Right? I know the number 30 is arbitrary, and I may as well be just as unenthused about turning 28 (those were the days!) or 31. I know that in many respects – openness to new music and technology, reminiscing about my long-gone heyday, giving up (with a sigh of relief) on trying to be cool, consulting doctors who are too young to know who Mr. T is – I grew old a long time ago. Still, I feel an impotent reluctance to succumb to this inevitability of life, an inevitability which is apparently so horrifying this video was produced:



But oddly enough, watching that vapid girl indignantly protesting her youth to a world of strangers has a cheering effect on me. After all, I’m over my salad days and no longer grope desperately for peer acceptance, a façade to hide my insecurities, a career, a life partner or a family. I mean, youth is great and all but ah! sweet old age brings retirement and an average thirty or forty years of nothing to do except wax nostalgic about the good old days before flying cars and the terrifying reign of the giant mutant polony monster.

So happy birthday to me, and bring it on! It’s not like I’m turning 40.

4 comments:

Jan said...

Happy birthday.

Face it, after the 18th one they are all traumatic.

Little Snoring said...

Really Youtube is full of self-obsessed yuf whining about something...
Happy Birthday! Perhaps you could film yourself and post it online?

Rita said...

Lonie, I'm sorry this is absolutely nothing to do with your current post (and HB BTW!) but we had published in our local paper (The Mercury) today a report about a judge in a custody case in NZ launching an attack on the parents of the child in question (9 yrs old) naming her Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He ordered that she be placed in court guardianship and her name changed! He also cited other names such as Number 16 Bus Shelter (maybe where the poor unfortunate was conceived?), Midnight Chardonnay, Violence and the twins - Benson and Hedges!

The Registrar-General said some names given to children had been officially rejected - like:
Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Stallion, Twisty Poi, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit.

What are these people thinking of?

Lonie Polony said...

Hey there Rita! I suspect those people were thinking about themselves and how amusing those names sounded to their tiny little minds, rather than the poor children.

And thank you, ladies, for the birthday wishes :)